Step into the enchanting world of our antique furniture store and discover the art of reviving history. With a curated collection spanning centuries and continents, we are a haven for vintage enthusiasts and history aficionados alike. Our passion for preserving the past is evident in the exquisite craftsmanship and timeless beauty of each piece.
Immerse yourself in the stories embedded in our diverse array of furniture, from European renaissance-inspired cabinets to intricately carved Asian screens. Feel the history come alive as you run your fingers along the smooth wood, admiring the patina that only time can bestow.
Bohemians Antique Furniture Store
11068 Buchanan Trail Easty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania 17268
24 Hours online
Store Hours 12pm to 5pm Thursday through Sunday
Other Hours By Appointment
At our store, we believe that every piece of furniture has a tale to tell. With meticulous attention to detail, our team of experts carefully selects and restores each item, ensuring that its authenticity and integrity are preserved. Whether you are looking for a statement piece to add character to your living space or a unique gift for a discerning collector, you are sure to find something extraordinary among our treasures.
Rediscover the beauty of the past, breathe new life into your surroundings, and create your own personal legacy with the captivating pieces at our antique furniture store.
The significance of preserving history through antique furniture
Antique furniture serves as a tangible link to our past, allowing us to connect with previous generations and embrace their stories. Each piece carries a unique history, reflecting the cultural, social, and artistic influences of its time. By preserving and cherishing these artifacts, we honor the craftsmanship and creativity of our ancestors.
Antique furniture provides a glimpse into the lives of those who came before us. It offers insights into their daily routines, societal norms, and design preferences. From the opulent furniture of aristocrats to the humble pieces found in working-class homes, each item tells a story of its own. By surrounding ourselves with these pieces, we create a sense of continuity and bridge the gap between past and present.
Types of antique furniture and their characteristics
Antique furniture encompasses a wide range of styles, each with its own distinct characteristics. From the elegant curves of Rococo to the clean lines of Art Deco, there is a style to suit every taste and aesthetic. Here are some of the most popular types of antique furniture:
1. Renaissance: Inspired by the art and architecture of ancient Greece and Rome, Renaissance furniture is characterized by its grandeur and ornate detailing. Elaborate carvings, rich upholstery, and intricate inlays are common features of this style.
2. Baroque: Baroque furniture emerged in the 17th century and is known for its dramatic and extravagant designs. Bold curves, elaborate scrolls, and opulent materials such as gilt and velvet are hallmarks of this style.
3. Chippendale: Named after the famous English cabinetmaker Thomas Chippendale, this style flourished in the 18th century. Chippendale furniture is characterized by its refined elegance, intricate carvings, and use of exotic woods.
4. Victorian: The Victorian era brought about a revival of various historical styles, resulting in a diverse range of furniture designs. From the Gothic Revival to the Rococo Revival, Victorian furniture is known for its eclectic mix of influences.
5. Art Nouveau: Art Nouveau furniture emerged at the end of the 19th century and is characterized by its organic forms and flowing lines. Inspired by nature, this style often features motifs such as flowers, leaves, and vines.
Exploring the treasures at our antique furniture store
As you step into our antique furniture store, you are greeted by a world of enchantment and history. Our meticulously curated collection offers a diverse array of pieces, each with its own unique charm and character. From the moment you enter, you will find yourself transported to a bygone era, surrounded by the beauty of the past.
Browse through our selection of European cabinets, adorned with intricate carvings and luxurious finishes. These pieces, inspired by the grandeur of the Renaissance and Baroque periods, bring a touch of elegance and sophistication to any space. Imagine the stories these cabinets could tell, the treasures they once held, and the lives they witnessed.
For those with a penchant for the exotic, our collection of Asian screens is sure to captivate your imagination. These intricately carved masterpieces, showcasing the craftsmanship of Asian artisans, will transport you to distant lands and evoke a sense of wanderlust. The delicate latticework and rich symbolism make these screens a focal point in any room.
Tips for identifying and evaluating antique furniture
When it comes to antique furniture, authenticity is key. Here are some tips to help you identify and evaluate the quality and value of antique pieces:
1. Research and Educate Yourself: Familiarize yourself with the different styles, periods, and materials used in antique furniture. This knowledge will help you make informed decisions and avoid common pitfalls.
2. Examine the Construction: Look for signs of handcraftsmanship, such as dovetail joints, hand-carved details, and hand-finished surfaces. These are indicators of quality and authenticity.
3. Inspect the Wood: Examine the wood for signs of age, such as patina, wear, and natural variations in color and grain. Genuine antique furniture will show these characteristics, while reproductions may lack them.
4. Check for Original Hardware: Original hardware, such as handles, hinges, and locks, can provide clues about the age and authenticity of a piece. Look for signs of wear and patina on these components.
5. Consult an Expert: When in doubt, seek the advice of a professional antique appraiser or furniture historian. Their expertise can help you make informed decisions and avoid costly mistakes.
By following these tips, you can confidently navigate the world of antique furniture and find pieces that truly speak to you.
The art of restoring and refurbishing antique furniture
Restoring antique furniture requires a delicate balance between preserving its original character and ensuring its functionality for modern use. Our team of experts understands the intricacies of this art and employs traditional techniques to breathe new life into each piece.
The restoration process begins with a thorough assessment of the piece’s condition. Any structural issues, such as loose joints or damaged veneer, are addressed first. Our craftsmen meticulously repair and reinforce the furniture, using traditional joinery methods and quality materials.
Once the structural integrity is restored, attention is turned to the aesthetic aspects. Any missing or damaged elements, such as carvings or inlays, are painstakingly recreated to match the original design. The piece is then carefully cleaned and polished, revealing its true beauty and patina.
The goal of restoration is not to erase the signs of age, but rather to enhance the character and authenticity of the piece. Each restoration project is approached with the utmost respect for the original craftsmanship, ensuring that the piece retains its historical value and integrity.
How to incorporate antique furniture into modern interiors
Antique furniture adds a touch of timeless elegance and character to modern interiors. Here are some tips for seamlessly incorporating antique pieces into your home:
1. Mix and Match: Don’t be afraid to mix antique and modern furniture. The juxtaposition of styles creates visual interest and adds depth to your space. Pair a sleek, contemporary sofa with a vintage coffee table or place an antique armoire in a minimalist bedroom for a striking contrast.
2. Focus on Statement Pieces: Let your antique furniture take center stage by choosing one or two standout pieces. A beautifully carved Victorian sideboard or a Louis XVI-style armchair can become the focal point of a room and set the tone for the entire space.
3. Create a Timeless Color Palette: Stick to a neutral color palette that allows your antique furniture to shine. Soft whites, warm beiges, and muted grays provide a backdrop that complements the rich hues and intricate details of vintage pieces.
4. Layer Textures and Patterns: Add depth and visual interest by layering textures and patterns. Mix plush velvet upholstery with vintage-inspired textiles or place an antique Persian rug on a polished hardwood floor. The interplay of different textures creates a harmonious and inviting space.
5. Tell a Story: Display your antique furniture in a way that tells a story about its history and provenance. Place vintage photographs, books, or art alongside the piece to create a narrative and evoke a sense of nostalgia.
By following these tips, you can create a unique and personalized space that seamlessly blends the old and the new.
Antique furniture care and maintenance
Proper care and maintenance are essential to preserve the beauty and longevity of antique furniture. Here are some tips to ensure that your cherished pieces remain in pristine condition:
1. Dust Regularly: Dust your antique furniture regularly using a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh chemicals that can damage the finish.
2. Avoid Direct Sunlight: Keep your antique furniture away from direct sunlight, as it can cause fading and deterioration. Use curtains or blinds to protect the pieces from harmful UV rays.
3. Control Humidity Levels: Fluctuations in humidity can cause wood to expand or contract, leading to damage. Maintain a consistent humidity level in your home by using a humidifier or dehumidifier if necessary.
4. Use Proper Cleaning Products: When cleaning your antique furniture, use products specifically designed for wood surfaces. Avoid using water-based cleaners or furniture polishes that contain silicone, as they can leave a residue and damage the finish.
5. Handle with Care: When moving or rearranging your antique furniture, take care to lift and carry it properly. Avoid dragging or sliding the pieces, as this can cause scratches and damage to the legs and surfaces.
By following these simple care and maintenance tips, you can ensure that your antique furniture remains in pristine condition for years to come.
The value of antique furniture as an investment
Antique furniture is not only a source of beauty and historical significance but can also be a wise investment. Unlike modern furniture, which often depreciates in value over time, antique pieces have the potential to appreciate and become more valuable with age.
The value of antique furniture is influenced by factors such as rarity, condition, provenance, and demand. Pieces with exceptional craftsmanship, historical significance, or association with renowned makers or designers are highly sought after by collectors and enthusiasts.
Investing in antique furniture requires careful research and a discerning eye. It is essential to choose pieces that have a proven track record of appreciation and to buy from reputable dealers or auction houses. Consulting with experts and attending antique fairs or auctions can provide valuable insights into market trends and potential investment opportunities.
In addition to the financial aspect, investing in antique furniture allows you to surround yourself with objects of enduring beauty and cultural significance. Each piece becomes a tangible link to our past, creating a sense of connection and appreciation for the craftsmanship of previous generations.
Conclusion: Embracing the beauty and history of Antique Furniture Stores
Antique furniture offers a unique opportunity to embrace the beauty and history of the past. By preserving and cherishing these pieces, we not only honor the craftsmanship and creativity of our ancestors but also create a sense of continuity between past and present.
At our antique furniture store, we invite you to step into a world where history comes alive, and each piece tells a story. Immerse yourself in the enchantment of the past as you explore our curated collection of treasures. From Renaissance cabinets to Asian screens, there is something extraordinary waiting to be discovered.
Whether you are a seasoned collector, a history enthusiast, or simply someone who appreciates the timeless beauty of antique furniture, we invite you to embark on a journey of discovery and create your own personal legacy with the captivating pieces at our store. Let the art of reviving history inspire and enrich your life.