Chinese American Artist b. 1954. Immigrated to America in 1988. Received a Masters in Fine Art from Bard College in New York.
Inspired by American and French Impressionists, Xin’s work carries many echoes of 19th century paintings with a keen interest in light and shadow. His thick use of his chosen medium, oil on canvas, gives liveliness and movement to his outdoor pastoral works and landscapes. However, it is sensitive treatment of his interior scenes, such as this moody painting entitled New Hampshire that captivate the viewer and pose a psychological depth to his oeuvre.
In this enigmatic work, two plush armchairs are illuminated by the light of an open balcony with blue shutters. A maroon and mint striped rug cuts across a floor, while another, simpler chair with wooden rungs fades in the right top background. The edges of two gold picture frames are seen along the far left wall.
In this sparse arrangement, Xue Jian Xin creates a high horizon perspective and a divided sense of space: the viewer perceives the room with its half finished rug and partial glimpse of the outside world through the balcony as only a glimpse of an entire room. This high perspective provides a sense of impermanence to the scene: one feels as if the artist is standing and peering in, catching a glimpse of the morning light in an unoccupied room. This scene is not an invitation to enter, but rather, a moody contemplation of a moment.
It is in this moment that the two french style chairs take on more meaning. Their plush seats and backs are illuminated by the blinding light; indeed, they are the only source of light color values in the work besides the railing and floor of the balcony and mysterious gold frames. Most of the painting is comprised of the thick surface treatment of the grey-blue floor which is reminiscent of a vast and mysterious body of water. With this high contrast juxtaposition of light and dark, the chairs’ texture and softness is achieved. The billowy folds of the seat cushions look as though they were recently vacated; the sitter’s recent absence within the frame becomes the focus and a moment of solitude is captured.
In this quiet and enigmatic scene, one can’t help but wonder if the artist sought to convey more than just a morning moment. The two plush chairs, in their alignment and design, appear to take on a greater significance. Equally alike and joined together along the wall, their arms almost touching, this pair of chairs could signify humanity, man and woman. The balcony calls to them with light almost as another world or heaven, opening to them a path away from the inconsequential gold frames and carpet, symbols of materialism within this mortal plane. It is in this reading that the darkened chair in the corner takes on significance too. It calls to the two chairs too, but in contrast to the balcony, has a haunting feel. This barren chair becomes almost a symbol of death, haunting the edges of the painting, with its eerie rungs and seat, an old pile of bones compared to the soft and supple chairs in the foreground. There is something unsettling about that chair tucked away in the shadows of the balcony shutters. In this modern interior painting, Xue Jian Xin appears to be echoing timeless themes of vanitas: the transience of life, the futility of pleasure and materialism, and the certainty of death. The glimmer of the garden outside of the balcony window evokes the true Eden of Heaven, and provides an escape from the darkness and oppressiveness of the room, and ultimately of our material plane.
Provenance: This painting was sold by the famed Gallery Revel in New York, New York in 2000 to a Connecticut home.
We offer our own delivery service to our customers. 🙂
Generally speaking, we deliver within a 250 mile radius of our store in Waynesboro Pennsylvania (Address: 11068 Buchanan Trail East Waynesboro PA). Our fees are per trip and based on mileage.
Outside of this 250 mile range, we’d be happy to work with the shipper of your choice.
Please feel to call us with specific delivery questions. We are happy to help. 717-375-8166.
Enjoy more time to pay
Pay for your purchases when it’s right for you. Choose PayPal Credit to pay all at once or enjoy the flexibility of paying over time with special financing offers.
For example, if your purchase qualifies, you could enjoy No Payments + No Interest if paid in full in 6 months on $99+.
Interest will be charged on your account from the posting date (which is usually within a few days after the purchase date) if the purchase balance is not paid in full within the promotional period. Subject to credit approval. See terms – opens in a new window or tab
Other offers may be available from time to time.
The lender for PayPal Credit accounts is Comenity Capital Bank.
Bohemians makes every attempt to help you make a great purchase decision the first time. Please feel free to call us (1-717-375-8166 est) or email us (email@example.com) your request for more photos or information, we will reply within 24 hours. Of course, we are also open to the public and encourage you to view our items if you have any further reservations. We’d be happy to set up a private appointment with you if our store hours do not suit your schedule. We’d be happy to assist you in any way we can to help you make a furniture or antique investment decision.
We stand by an “All Sales Final Policy.” All of our products are unique and only available as singular items. We do not offer returns or exchanges. We thank you for your understanding on these policies.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. It is agreed that Bohemians and eBohemians.com is an online furniture and antique retailer, selling goods to consumers and that all items are being sold in as-is condition with no warranties or guarantees either expressed or implied. Bohemians makes every effort to accurately describe and photograph any and all items to the best of their ability. It is suggested that buyer make all inquiries and questions prior to committing to an online purchase. All items are available for preview and inspection at our showroom and all potential buyers are invited to come view and inspect prior to making final purchase. Buyers are welcome to hire or have their own third party make inspections of items prior to committing if they do desire.
2. The buyer, whether acting as principal, agent, officer or director of a company or otherwise, in any capacity whatsoever, and the company he represents, both jointly and severally agrees to indemnify and save harmless Bohemians and its officers, directors, employees, agents, attorneys and its consignors, from any and all actions, causes of action, suits, damages, costs, and losses of any nature, including injury and death, arising from the purchase or use of any items.
3. Specifically, but without limitation, Bohemians makes no representation or warranty that any of the lots conform to any standard in respect of safety, pollution or hazardous material, or fit for any particular purpose. Bohemians, sellers, or any member of their staff make no guarantee as to the authenticity, of any particular age, year of manufacture, model, make, mileage, hours, condition, or defect of any lot or item being sold. Buyers are encouraged to make their own physical inspection and rely solely on that inspection before purchasing. Failure to inspect does not negate that buyers responsibility in the act of online purchases.
4. Purchaser is responsible for all shipping and delivery charges for all items purchased. Bohemians and its employees make no recommendations as to any carrier or delivery companies. Purchasers are welcome to use any licensed carrier of their choice providing they provide Bohemians with a Bill of Lading, condition report and are insured and authorized to carry such goods. Any refunds, either cash or credit, shall be for the purchase price only; shipping costs excluded. All shipping is at the expense of the buyer and shall be paid directly to appropriate shipping company.
5. Bohemians and its employees will not be held liable for any damage, loss or delays caused by any shipping carrier or agent.
6. State and local sales tax will be assessed and collected on all purchases unless legal exemption documentation is provided at the time of sale.
7. Purchaser shall not be entitled to remove any item from the showroom facility until all his purchases are paid for in full including all applicable goods, rendered services, sales or use taxes. Purchaser is responsible for insuring his purchases immediately. Bohemians shall not be responsible for loss, damage, or theft of any purchase.
8. Bohemians shall not be held liable or at fault for any workmanship, improvements or adaptions performed on items. This includes but is not limited to upholstery work, refinishing, lighting, alterations and touch-up that is done.
9. In the event of damage or loss, Bohemians will provide whatever documentation is necessary to help buyer receive insurance or reimbursement from shipping company.
10. Bohemians will allow for the return of any purchase within 14 days of payment for any reason and without prior approval. Purchaser just needs to contact Bohemians within 14 days of purchase. Bohemians must receive the returned items in the condition it was in when it left our premises and will inspect all Returns before refunds are processed. All returns are subject to a 15 % restocking fee. Shipping and delivery fees will not be refunded and additional fees will apply for return shipping.
11. Any purchased items that are paid for, but not picked up within 6 months of purchase will be resold and any monies received forfeited (unless prior arrangements have been made). We will gladly store and hold items for up to 30 days at no charge, after that a $45 for each month charge will be applied. This balance will need to be paid in order for any item to be removed from the premises.
12. Bohemians wants all of its customers to be satisfied with their purchases. We will do what we can to make your online purchase a positive experience and look forward to having you as a satisfied repeat customer. Always feel free to call or email any questions to one of our experienced staff.
These terms, and any dispute arising from the use of this site, will be governed by Franklin County, Pennsylvania without regard to its conflicts of laws provisions.
Feedback And Information
Any feedback you provide at this site shall be deemed to be non-confidential. Bohemians llc shall be free to use such information on an unrestricted basis.
The terms and conditions for this web site are subject to change without notice.
© 2012-2017 Bohemians llc All rights reserved.
Bohemians llc, 11068 Buchanan Trail East
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania 17268 U.S.A
Updated by The Bohemians on August 7, 2017.