This rare early handmade chest was acquired from a Philadelphia Estate and is an excellent example of the very early and short-lived Colonial expression of William and Mary Style (also known as Early Baroque) Furniture. It is crafted of solid oak and has superb surface decoration of applied moldings and half bobbin spindles. It is a chest on chest made in two separate pieces, as is often the case with early pieces made in Colonial America. It also features one of the greatest advances in early furniture making– dovetailed and side hung drawers.
The earliest immigrants to America could not bring much if any furniture with them from Europe, but they did imitate Continental and British styles. Artisans and cabinetmakers studied printed pattern books from Europe and while Charles II is credited for bringing a new Louis XIV Baroque style of decorating to the English courts in the 1660’s, it wasn’t until the joint reign of William and Mary in 1689-1702 that this Early Baroque style reached the colonies.
One Feature of William and Mary style is a love of strong geometry. On this chest, each drawer shows the layered rectilinear patterns of moldings common of the period. Very architectural, the effect of these moldings is great visual depth and a strong masculine presence. Also it shows superb wood working abilities to not only craft solid oak moldings with hand tools, but to miter and arrange them in perfect symmetry. This type of surface treatment was purely decorative; in other chests of this period we see delicate veneer work and paint as alternative surface decorations.
The bobbins demonstrate great skill and craftsmanship too. A “turner,” as these skilled craftsmen were called, would have crafted a full string of bobbins using a lathe. Then he would have meticulously chiseled it in half vertically to provide a flat surface in which to attach it to the case. Upon close inspection, the imperfections of these strings of bobbins becomes visible, attesting to the true handy-work (and hours of labor) of this piece.
Wealthy merchants making their way in America often had the luxury of furnishing large expansive homes in these new fashionable tastes of the time. However, the William and Mary Style was a taste purely for the elite and never reached mass appeal in America. Complicated forms, thin veneer work and time consuming joinery cost a pretty penny. We can likely determine that this piece was owned by someone of high taste and of well means.
It combines a stunning and unique look with ultimate signs of early craftsmanship. Drawers are chiseled with a track on each side and glide better than some pieces produced today. The moldings and bobbins create a textured and impressive look, meant to convey wealth and prestige. It truly is a fantastic surviving example of the early Colonial American William and Mary Style. By the 1720’s, this style fell out of taste, being replaced almost completely with Queen Anne and Chippendale styles. The rarity and beauty of this chest certainly will live on for a collector interested in preserving this unique time period and furniture style.
Condition Report: Excellent Condition with most of the piece being original. One top molding has been replaced. Hardware and escutcheons do not appear to be original. Some more modern nails have been used in drawer backs and on the back. A separation appears on the top of the case between the seams of the boards. Great patina. Overall magnificent condition with no other remarkable problems or issues.
We offer our own delivery service to our customers. 🙂
Generally speaking, we deliver within a 250 mile radius of our store in Waynesboro Pennsylvania (Address: 11068 Buchanan Trail East Waynesboro PA). Our fees are per trip and based on mileage.
Outside of this 250 mile range, we’d be happy to work with the shipper of your choice.
Please feel to call us with specific delivery questions. We are happy to help. 717-375-8166.
Enjoy more time to pay
Pay for your purchases when it’s right for you. Choose PayPal Credit to pay all at once or enjoy the flexibility of paying over time with special financing offers.
For example, if your purchase qualifies, you could enjoy No Payments + No Interest if paid in full in 6 months on $99+.
Interest will be charged on your account from the posting date (which is usually within a few days after the purchase date) if the purchase balance is not paid in full within the promotional period. Subject to credit approval. See terms – opens in a new window or tab
Other offers may be available from time to time.
The lender for PayPal Credit accounts is Comenity Capital Bank.
Bohemians makes every attempt to help you make a great purchase decision the first time. Please feel free to call us (1-717-375-8166 est) or email us (email@example.com) your request for more photos or information, we will reply within 24 hours. Of course, we are also open to the public and encourage you to view our items if you have any further reservations. We’d be happy to set up a private appointment with you if our store hours do not suit your schedule. We’d be happy to assist you in any way we can to help you make a furniture or antique investment decision.
We stand by an “All Sales Final Policy.” All of our products are unique and only available as singular items. We do not offer returns or exchanges. We thank you for your understanding on these policies.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. It is agreed that Bohemians and eBohemians.com is an online furniture and antique retailer, selling goods to consumers and that all items are being sold in as-is condition with no warranties or guarantees either expressed or implied. Bohemians makes every effort to accurately describe and photograph any and all items to the best of their ability. It is suggested that buyer make all inquiries and questions prior to committing to an online purchase. All items are available for preview and inspection at our showroom and all potential buyers are invited to come view and inspect prior to making final purchase. Buyers are welcome to hire or have their own third party make inspections of items prior to committing if they do desire.
2. The buyer, whether acting as principal, agent, officer or director of a company or otherwise, in any capacity whatsoever, and the company he represents, both jointly and severally agrees to indemnify and save harmless Bohemians and its officers, directors, employees, agents, attorneys and its consignors, from any and all actions, causes of action, suits, damages, costs, and losses of any nature, including injury and death, arising from the purchase or use of any items.
3. Specifically, but without limitation, Bohemians makes no representation or warranty that any of the lots conform to any standard in respect of safety, pollution or hazardous material, or fit for any particular purpose. Bohemians, sellers, or any member of their staff make no guarantee as to the authenticity, of any particular age, year of manufacture, model, make, mileage, hours, condition, or defect of any lot or item being sold. Buyers are encouraged to make their own physical inspection and rely solely on that inspection before purchasing. Failure to inspect does not negate that buyers responsibility in the act of online purchases.
4. Purchaser is responsible for all shipping and delivery charges for all items purchased. Bohemians and its employees make no recommendations as to any carrier or delivery companies. Purchasers are welcome to use any licensed carrier of their choice providing they provide Bohemians with a Bill of Lading, condition report and are insured and authorized to carry such goods. Any refunds, either cash or credit, shall be for the purchase price only; shipping costs excluded. All shipping is at the expense of the buyer and shall be paid directly to appropriate shipping company.
5. Bohemians and its employees will not be held liable for any damage, loss or delays caused by any shipping carrier or agent.
6. State and local sales tax will be assessed and collected on all purchases unless legal exemption documentation is provided at the time of sale.
7. Purchaser shall not be entitled to remove any item from the showroom facility until all his purchases are paid for in full including all applicable goods, rendered services, sales or use taxes. Purchaser is responsible for insuring his purchases immediately. Bohemians shall not be responsible for loss, damage, or theft of any purchase.
8. Bohemians shall not be held liable or at fault for any workmanship, improvements or adaptions performed on items. This includes but is not limited to upholstery work, refinishing, lighting, alterations and touch-up that is done.
9. In the event of damage or loss, Bohemians will provide whatever documentation is necessary to help buyer receive insurance or reimbursement from shipping company.
10. Bohemians will allow for the return of any purchase within 14 days of payment for any reason and without prior approval. Purchaser just needs to contact Bohemians within 14 days of purchase. Bohemians must receive the returned items in the condition it was in when it left our premises and will inspect all Returns before refunds are processed. All returns are subject to a 15 % restocking fee. Shipping and delivery fees will not be refunded and additional fees will apply for return shipping.
11. Any purchased items that are paid for, but not picked up within 6 months of purchase will be resold and any monies received forfeited (unless prior arrangements have been made). We will gladly store and hold items for up to 30 days at no charge, after that a $45 for each month charge will be applied. This balance will need to be paid in order for any item to be removed from the premises.
12. Bohemians wants all of its customers to be satisfied with their purchases. We will do what we can to make your online purchase a positive experience and look forward to having you as a satisfied repeat customer. Always feel free to call or email any questions to one of our experienced staff.
These terms, and any dispute arising from the use of this site, will be governed by Franklin County, Pennsylvania without regard to its conflicts of laws provisions.
Feedback And Information
Any feedback you provide at this site shall be deemed to be non-confidential. Bohemians llc shall be free to use such information on an unrestricted basis.
The terms and conditions for this web site are subject to change without notice.
© 2012-2017 Bohemians llc All rights reserved.
Bohemians llc, 11068 Buchanan Trail East
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania 17268 U.S.A
Updated by The Bohemians on August 7, 2017.