This is an outstanding engraving on paper, the original plate of which is the work of Italian artist Raphaello Sanzio Morghen. The copper plate was originally created in circa 1815 in Rome, and is a rendering of Guido Reni’s hand painted fresco on the ceiling of a beautiful summer house owned by Cardinal Scipione Borghese in Rome, painted in 1613-1614. Many original engravings touched by Morghen’s hand hang in museums in Italy, including the Musei Civici di Arte e Storia in Brescia. This work was produced after Morghen’s death in circa 1880 by the Regia Caleografia di Roma, which reproduced multiple fine engravings from the original copper plates of masters from the years of 1870 to 1945. The work bears the stamp of this company in the right hand corner.
Raphaello Morghen was born in Naples in 1753. He apprenticed under the celebrated Giovani Volpato for several years and many of Volpato’s works bare Morghen’s signature as well. Morghen created upwards of 200 engraving, and although not widely known today, was very well respected during his lifetime. In 1782, with his wife, Volpato’s daughter, Morghen went to Florence to work on engravings of the masterpieces of the Florentine Gallery. His works in Florence were very highly regarded, and soon his reputation earned him the recommendation to engrave the Last Supper by Leonardo Da Vinci. Morghen’s fame soon extended westward in Europe and in 1803, the Institute of France, as a mark of his talents, elected him an associate, a great honor for the artist. Less than a decade later, Napolean himself invited him to Paris and personally lauded him for his work.
This engraving, as mentioned above, is a rendering not of a painting but of a fresco painted in 1613-1614 by Guido Reni. The fresco, known as Aurora, was commissioned by Cardinal Borghese in Rome for the ceiling in part of his palatial summer home. The fresco, grand in scale and full of color and light, depicts Apollo on his chariot, bringing light to Aurora, the goddess of Dawn (left). Apollo’s Chariot is surrounded by a group of elegant goddesses known as Hours. Above, a putto known as Phosphorus, a personification of the Morning Star, holds a torch and lights the way for the chariot. In this dramatic fresco, the passage of time and the beauty of the sunrise is personified by the gracious figures of antiquity. Aurora, with her bouquets of flowers is leading the charge of Apollo, and bringing with him the light of day, life and reason.
In this spirit, Morghen’s work faithfully and sensitively reproduces the work of Reni, having to restrict the image in both scale and tone. His copper engraving is thus incredibly impressive: the musculature and flesh of the figures were beautifully rendered by Morghen’s chisel. Swaths of fabric cocoon the God and Goddess and the light clouds billow and float serenely in place. The horses rearing at the head of the chariot can almost be heard neighing as they gallop through the sky. Morghen’s Aurora, captures the drama, beauty and incredible allegorical scene of the turning of the earth and passage of time.
This work from the original plate of Morghen is beautifully framed in a Victorian Period Burl Walnut frame. The antique wavy glass protects the piece and adds a beautiful dimension to the work of art. The golden wood tones and decorative etchings in the frame, as well as the deep red velvet of the inner frame, complement the warm and regal scene of dawn beautifully, etched by early 19th century artist Raphaello Morghen.
We offer our own delivery service to our customers. 🙂
Generally speaking, we deliver within a 250 mile radius of our store in Waynesboro Pennsylvania (Address: 11068 Buchanan Trail East Waynesboro PA). Our fees are per trip and based on mileage.
Outside of this 250 mile range, we’d be happy to work with the shipper of your choice.
Please feel to call us with specific delivery questions. We are happy to help. 717-375-8166.
Enjoy more time to pay
Pay for your purchases when it’s right for you. Choose PayPal Credit to pay all at once or enjoy the flexibility of paying over time with special financing offers.
For example, if your purchase qualifies, you could enjoy No Payments + No Interest if paid in full in 6 months on $99+.
Interest will be charged on your account from the posting date (which is usually within a few days after the purchase date) if the purchase balance is not paid in full within the promotional period. Subject to credit approval. See terms – opens in a new window or tab
Other offers may be available from time to time.
The lender for PayPal Credit accounts is Comenity Capital Bank.
Bohemians makes every attempt to help you make a great purchase decision the first time. Please feel free to call us (1-717-375-8166 est) or email us (email@example.com) your request for more photos or information, we will reply within 24 hours. Of course, we are also open to the public and encourage you to view our items if you have any further reservations. We’d be happy to set up a private appointment with you if our store hours do not suit your schedule. We’d be happy to assist you in any way we can to help you make a furniture or antique investment decision.
We stand by an “All Sales Final Policy.” All of our products are unique and only available as singular items. We do not offer returns or exchanges. We thank you for your understanding on these policies.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. It is agreed that Bohemians and eBohemians.com is an online furniture and antique retailer, selling goods to consumers and that all items are being sold in as-is condition with no warranties or guarantees either expressed or implied. Bohemians makes every effort to accurately describe and photograph any and all items to the best of their ability. It is suggested that buyer make all inquiries and questions prior to committing to an online purchase. All items are available for preview and inspection at our showroom and all potential buyers are invited to come view and inspect prior to making final purchase. Buyers are welcome to hire or have their own third party make inspections of items prior to committing if they do desire.
2. The buyer, whether acting as principal, agent, officer or director of a company or otherwise, in any capacity whatsoever, and the company he represents, both jointly and severally agrees to indemnify and save harmless Bohemians and its officers, directors, employees, agents, attorneys and its consignors, from any and all actions, causes of action, suits, damages, costs, and losses of any nature, including injury and death, arising from the purchase or use of any items.
3. Specifically, but without limitation, Bohemians makes no representation or warranty that any of the lots conform to any standard in respect of safety, pollution or hazardous material, or fit for any particular purpose. Bohemians, sellers, or any member of their staff make no guarantee as to the authenticity, of any particular age, year of manufacture, model, make, mileage, hours, condition, or defect of any lot or item being sold. Buyers are encouraged to make their own physical inspection and rely solely on that inspection before purchasing. Failure to inspect does not negate that buyers responsibility in the act of online purchases.
4. Purchaser is responsible for all shipping and delivery charges for all items purchased. Bohemians and its employees make no recommendations as to any carrier or delivery companies. Purchasers are welcome to use any licensed carrier of their choice providing they provide Bohemians with a Bill of Lading, condition report and are insured and authorized to carry such goods. Any refunds, either cash or credit, shall be for the purchase price only; shipping costs excluded. All shipping is at the expense of the buyer and shall be paid directly to appropriate shipping company.
5. Bohemians and its employees will not be held liable for any damage, loss or delays caused by any shipping carrier or agent.
6. State and local sales tax will be assessed and collected on all purchases unless legal exemption documentation is provided at the time of sale.
7. Purchaser shall not be entitled to remove any item from the showroom facility until all his purchases are paid for in full including all applicable goods, rendered services, sales or use taxes. Purchaser is responsible for insuring his purchases immediately. Bohemians shall not be responsible for loss, damage, or theft of any purchase.
8. Bohemians shall not be held liable or at fault for any workmanship, improvements or adaptions performed on items. This includes but is not limited to upholstery work, refinishing, lighting, alterations and touch-up that is done.
9. In the event of damage or loss, Bohemians will provide whatever documentation is necessary to help buyer receive insurance or reimbursement from shipping company.
10. Bohemians will allow for the return of any purchase within 14 days of payment for any reason and without prior approval. Purchaser just needs to contact Bohemians within 14 days of purchase. Bohemians must receive the returned items in the condition it was in when it left our premises and will inspect all Returns before refunds are processed. All returns are subject to a 15 % restocking fee. Shipping and delivery fees will not be refunded and additional fees will apply for return shipping.
11. Any purchased items that are paid for, but not picked up within 6 months of purchase will be resold and any monies received forfeited (unless prior arrangements have been made). We will gladly store and hold items for up to 30 days at no charge, after that a $45 for each month charge will be applied. This balance will need to be paid in order for any item to be removed from the premises.
12. Bohemians wants all of its customers to be satisfied with their purchases. We will do what we can to make your online purchase a positive experience and look forward to having you as a satisfied repeat customer. Always feel free to call or email any questions to one of our experienced staff.
These terms, and any dispute arising from the use of this site, will be governed by Franklin County, Pennsylvania without regard to its conflicts of laws provisions.
Feedback And Information
Any feedback you provide at this site shall be deemed to be non-confidential. Bohemians llc shall be free to use such information on an unrestricted basis.
The terms and conditions for this web site are subject to change without notice.
© 2012-2017 Bohemians llc All rights reserved.
Bohemians llc, 11068 Buchanan Trail East
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania 17268 U.S.A
Updated by The Bohemians on August 7, 2017.